Sunday, October 19, 2008

Elijah.com?

So, primary is a funny thing...I was called as sunbeam teacher a while ago and Nick was called as my assistant. Its really nice to have him there because I have about 5-6 rowdy little boys every week, and they love him! They are very good for him, and love to sit on his lap:) There have been many times when we come home just laughing so hard because of things that they said or did. Kids really do say the darndest things! A popular thing is during prayer, to thank Heavenly Father for their toys. Well, its a start.

I have a little boy in my class with a speech impediment, and he can't say the S sound, so thats interesting trying to interpret what he's saying. His parents just gave birth to a little girl whom they named Summer. (congrats!) The poor little kid just can't say Summer, he tries so hard but it comes out "Dummer" every time. Hopefully she has a good sense of self worth, and that he learns to say her name correctly, or she might have some self esteem problems later in life!

We also have had our share of rough times, however. All in one day, all by one child, I was kicked, punched, poked, spit upon and elbowed. Hmmmm...not a good feeling! I have left church wondering if I really did want children.. ;) But all in all, they are a good group and I have a lot of fun learning and playing with them.

Today was the primary program...oh boy. The past few weeks the rowdiest boys of the bunch were absent, so I thought my job was pretty easy. But, as my luck would have it, I had a full class today! 5 extremely wiggly little boys with the attention span of an ant. It was a victory in my eyes just to get the kids up there and mumble their parts. One little guy decided that he needed to jump off his chair to sing, I'm just glad that he didn't face plant into the ground, the bishop would have called child protection services and released me from my calling. They did a good job though and I was very proud of them all for being so good:)

During class, we talked about being nice to animals, and I asked each of them if they could be any animal, what would they be and why? One little boy said that he would be a bear because they eat aliens. I don't remember reading that nursery rhyme...

I think the highlight of the day though, came from an unexpected source. We had a visitor for sharing time, and I asked him what his name was. He replied "Elijah." "Well, its nice to meet you Elijah, we're glad to have you here", was my reply. His comeback was unforgettable, something I will never forget. He said, "You can call me Elijah.com if you want." It took me a minute to realize just how funny that was, but when it hit me, I lost it. How in the world does a four year old know the dot com phraseology?! Very funny, we had a good laugh.

Moral of the story, sunbeams are mostly hilarious. As hard as they are sometimes, it all pays off when they say something funny and when you see the light turn on and they understand something pertaining to the lesson. Kids are wonderful, truly heaven sent:)

1 comment:

Darcy said...

My favorite story from Primary is when we asked "Who is someone that teaches you about reverence, and starts with the letter G?"

The answer was hilarious.

Our favorite little fireball Ashlyn raised her hand and confidently said...

"Gee-sus!" (Jesus) I LOVE IT!